Friday 26 March 2010

Costumes

So, a little bit about me!
I have a degree in Theatre Design, which has led to my career as a costume designer and maker. Having worked in a theatrical wardrobe for a few years, and also working freelance as a designer, I decided it was time for a change, so got myself a place on a Fashion MA course. At the same time, I took a part time job as a manager in a vintage clothes shop, which combined my 2 loves - vintage clothes and being in charge!!
However, events were conspiring, and whilst part way through my MA, the opportunity came up to open a costume hire business. Through my work as a wardrobe assistant at Birmingham Rep, it became apparent that their huge collection of costumes, which were housed in a cold and filthy warehouse, were in need of some TLC. It broke my heart to see them all go to waste as they sat unloved, so I proposed to The Rep that we set up a hire department. They decided it wasn't something they wanted to do, but were happy for me to write them a business plan and run it myself, with their involvement.
Skip forward a few months, and Costumia was born!

The MA course was put on hold, and my time at Retro Bizarre, the vintage clothes shop, was coming to an end. I continued to deal in vintage clothing on the side, at fairs up and down the country, but my new baby took precedence!
For the last 5 years I have lived and breathed costumes - making, cleaning, hiring, designing, organising, repairing - you get the idea!




No comments:

Post a Comment