Monday 5 April 2010

Fairground Attraction

One area I have always taken inspiration from is films and live theatre. I'm not a huge film buff, but I love directors such as Tim Burton, Baz Luhrman and Terry Gilliam. There is also a theatre company called Kneehigh Theatre who I adore, and I've seen most of their work at least once.
I think it's the combination of amazing costumes, beautiful set designs with a real vintage feel, and also the sheer fantasy element that attracts me - they are as far from the mundane as you can get, and allow for complete escapism.


I watched the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus this evening, and it reminded me of fairgrounds and carnivals, and the sheer escapism and magic they represent. As well as that, the riot of colour and sparkle is just fabulous, and it got me thinking that I'd like to recreate that somehow in a bouquet design.
I'm not yet sure how I can do this, but I think I'll need lots of single stone brooches and bright glass beads in the slightly muted clashing colours you can see above. I think this will be more of a personal project than a sellable one, but watch this space and I'll keep you update on it's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment